Monday, July 20, 2009

IST 511--Day One

It is 11:56 pm on Monday July 20th. If I can finish this and get it posted in 4 minutes, it will technically be "on time." The fact that I am posting Monday's blog on Tuesday morning (I'll never make it in 4 minutes!) is an indication of what kind of day today was for me! Very full, very busy, very long--but very interesting as well. Perhaps the highlight of the day (other than riding the shuttle bus with SU quarterback and former Duke point guard Greg Paulus) was listening to today's two guest speakers who discussed their careers as public librarians. Back in the spring at the Admitted Student Reception, Scott Nicholson said that during 511 he would bring in speakers each day of the course to talk about their careers and at the end of each day, students would change their minds about what type of librarian they wanted to be. I thought this was hyperbole and that I wouldn't ever want to switch from School Media. Well today's presenters "almost" made me want to switch career plans and become a public librarian. The type of experiences each has had in the public setting were varied, challenging and rewarding. I especially enjoyed hearing about one who worked as a librarian in a correctional facility. And while I still plan to become a school librarian, the idea of becoming a public librarian lingers. At tonight's advising session, Blythe Bennett encouraged us to (at the completion of our School Media program) pay the $5 fee and become a certified Public librarian as well as a school librarian. Good advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment